Friday, September 18, 2009

Back to Yugoslavia

When last we left you, I was 17 years old, living in Yugoslavia (now Croatia) as an exchange student for the summer of 1981. I was loving living with my host family: Tata (dad), Mama, Z. (my 15-year old host sister) and Suzy, (13-year old host sister). I was getting attention from the men/boys in the area and that was rather exciting.

Sometimes I read some of these next entries and cringe a little. But I remind myself that I was 17 and that's the way I was waaaay back then. So, here's more:

Travel Diary
Date: July 12, 1981

"Last night, we (Z. rather) talked to Celo for about 2 hours. Details on what he said later - when I find out. He said that he liked me - yesterday. Celo asked Z what if he fell in love with me. "What?" Z asked.
"I'd need a translator. Will you do it?"
Z: "No, you just need a dictionary."
Nada: "No, you just need to know three words. Do you know what they are?"
C: "No.... Oh, 'I love you.'"
Sounds promising. Went to church this morning. Long & hot! Went to soccer tournament today. Celo stayed by us. He asked if I liked him. "Yes." No answer [from him] - blush.*
"Tonight ALL of us walked to the disco but before we got there we were told that it was nothing, so we went back home. Celo asked Z if I wanted to watch TV w/ him. She said, "No." That isn't done here. Details later."

* Celo blushed, that is. Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment