Friday, September 18, 2009

July 13, 1981

Travel Diary

Date: July 13, 1981

"Today I wrote 3 letters. I didn't do much else since tile is being laid in the entry and I can't get out [of the room]. We had the window open at about 6:00, and Mama had just given me a handful of flowers - daisies & 2 glads, and a bus stopped, so Z. said, "M., It's Celo." I didn't believe her, until he stopped in front of the window. I wonder if I made a pretty picture. He said that the film had been bad - the one that he asked Z. if I wanted to watch. He didn't stay long, he was hungry, so he went to his house.
"The reason why Z. said no when he asked if I would watch TV with him is because it isn't done. Girls don't go into guys houses, and guys don't go into girls. Z. translated a song that she wrote and she asked me to write one, so I did - really a poem. It's called "You and I, Love." Z. says that she's going to give it to Celo. We'll see. I'm tired and I must use the can, but I don't know if I can."

I didn't know it at the time, but the house where we were living had recently been built. There was a front gate and once in that, it opened up into our land. There was an older house which had been Mama's parent's house (and I believe where they lived before this house was built). There were fruit trees and the land went back until it reached the train tracks. The entry to the house faced the large back yard. At this time, there was no door!! Instead, a large curtain was hung across the opening. As you entered the house, there was the tile foyer. Off to the right was a door. That lead to the stairs that went upstairs. There was nothing but storage upstairs. The second door on the right was the bathroom. This was large with a hand-held shower for the tub. Here was a stove since there was no central heat. Gas lines for heat were laid in 1997!

The next door, which was opposite to the entry way, was the room where Z. and I slept. We both had convertible sofa beds. The next room was the living/dining room. Suzy slept in here and I kept all of my clothes here. We spent most of our time in this room. We were ever so lucky in that the bus stop was nearly right outside our house, so we got to see who came and went all day long. In a village of this size, this was the most exciting thing to happen each day! Opposite the bathroom was the kitchen. We ate in here and there was another convertible sofa where Mama & Tata slept. So that was our house! The outside was brick with stucco added later.

No comments:

Post a Comment