Tuesday, September 22, 2009

July 15, 1981

Travel Diary

Date: July 15, 1981

"Today, we didn't do much. This morning, gypsies came by. They had dancing bears. I took a few pictures. This afternoon we picked plus to be made into whiskey*. We were going to go to a certain persons house, but we didn't. We'll go tomorrow, I guess. Tonight, I got sorta made when I was teased about P., so I walked out - still happy. Mama apologized. I hope the teasing is over with now. Didn't mail letters today - tomorrow. Tasted my first coffee** - it wasn't too bad. When the Gypsies were here, a girl came up and asked for bread. I pretended not to understand. Before sleep - we talked for 3 hours."

* The plums were actually used for plum brandy, or "slivovitz". This stuff was made by a traveling still. People used their own plums to make their supply for the year. Slivovitz is drank by taking a straight shot of it. Let me tell you, it BURNS!

** The coffee was Turkish coffee. After pouring a tiny cup of it, you let it sit so the grounds can settle to the bottom of the cup and then you can drink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment