Wednesday, August 26, 2009

July 1, 1981, Yugoslavia

Travel Diary

Date: July 1, 1981

Today, I got up early, and we went into Slav. Brod. There we mailed 2 letters that I had written and then we went to a few shops. I didn't buy a thing. We were only there about 1 1/2 hours. I loved it. I wish I lived there. Then this afternoon, we picked cherries - sour! Tonight, Z and I talked.* I did most of it. I talked of boyfriends - school, plays, etc. It was fun. I showed them my jewelry and my make-up. I put on my lip pencil & mascara. I also had my hoops in and a necklace. Z. had her ears pierced when she was 3 yrs. and Susi when she was 6 months! Mama returned tonight. She shook my hand, yet she kissed Susi and Z.** I felt left-out - but she has only known me a week. I'm back to my old weight - no doubt - although I have eaten less - but I do eat cake & ice cream - that will do it! I gotta' stop! Help! Oh, well - it's fun!

* I always knew that Z and I were in for a good talk when she'd bring the big red dictionary that I had brought with me into our room with us. Then she could find the correct word that she wanted and we'd understand each other better. Z. and I shared the one bedroom. Susi had a bed in the dining room/living room and Mama & Tata had a converted sofa in the kitchen! I didn't know it at the time, but the house was NEW and they hadn't finished with everything yet.

** The traditional way to greet someone was to shake their hand and kiss both cheeks. I only got the handshake on this occasion so that's why I felt left-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment