Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Travel Diary June 30, 1981

Travel Diary

Date: June 30, 1981

"Today Debbie from AFS came over with her family. We got to talking - English - and we were laughing away! Purple torpedos!* It was so funny. We must see each other more! It's great. I wonder how much Z and Nada understood! We complained of our problems - and we laughed! It was great! After she left we went for a walk to G. - and we got ice cream - I wrote 2 letters to the family** - 2 pages and one to Jamie - 4 pages - It was great - Funny - I hope.
"Tomorrow we go to Slav. Brod - Z must go to her school - Hopefully we can also shop! Played chess with Tata tonight. It was a stale-mate. He helped me otherwise I would have lost right off. I haven't played in so long. Mama is still gone. Where? I'm not sure yet - or when she'll return."

* We came up with "Purple Torpedos" while at AFS orientation, using a strong New Jersey accent. Debbie was placed with a family who lived in Slavonski Brod. I guess they had troubles and she was moved at some point during the summer.

** My host family had no telephone and no car, so communicating with my bio family consisted of writing letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment